Tuesday 5 November 2013

David Bowie: The Man Who Sold The World

The Man Who Sold The World

Best song: The Width of a Circle

Worst song: She Shook Me Cold

Overall grade: 4

Following the success of the single ‘Space Oddity’, David Bowie started trying to put together a more stable group of musicians to work with. This group would then go on to become one of the most famous backing bands of any musician, ever (save for Bob Dylan). Yes, this album does indeed feature a very rough blueprint for what was to become the Spiders from Mars. Micks Ronson and Woodmansey make their first appearance on this album, and Trevor Bolder was the only missing link… but that’s later. For now, we’re just talking about this album, which, although clearly a vital step in Bowie’s evolution, is overlooked and even criticised by fans as often as it is praised.
So, where do I stand on this album that divides the opinions of those who actually remember it exists? Well, I like it. Truth be told I liked it quite a bit more before I found out that Bowie himself wasn’t massively involved in the songwriting process. Maybe that factor shouldn’t be such an influence on my opinion, but it is. David Bowie is one of the most creative and imaginative men in music, and for him – or any musician, for that matter – to put his name on a project, I’d hope that he’d want to have written a set of songs he was really happy with, and that he thought were the best he could write, rather than make a start and then hand the job over to somebody else. Maybe I’m just idealistic.
I’m not going to surprise anyone with my pick for best song here. Opener ‘The Width of a Circle’ is as good as it gets – so good, that one particularly devoted fan in Russia pressed so many copies of it onto 7” that lots of people think it was released as an actual, official single. Don’t be fooled by the 1970 release date. This song has the open, anything-goes kind of quality that makes one think of the 60s, and the second part has a space rock quality that almost reminds me of Hawkwind. Hearing Bowie, generally regarded as a camped-up glam rock singer, try his voice at the heavy metal influenced song might seem like a bit of a stretch, but his voice fits in surprisingly well. There’s some spacey atmospherics in the wobbly guitar solo passage between the first two verses, and the lyrics… ‘And the rumour spread that I was aging fast/Then I ran across a monster who was sleeping by a tree/And I looked and frowned and the monster was me’. Or, I could just quote the entire song. Yes, sleeping with the devil in Hell might sound like dubious subject matter and it’s certainly not the kind of thing I’d expect to enjoy a song about, but there are so many excellent lyrical turns of phrase here that I’m forced to have a lot of respect for the way it’s written.
OK, let’s talk about some of the other songs. This album doesn’t have a concept like ‘Ziggy Stardust’ and doesn’t even flow like ‘Hunky Dory’ but most of the songs are worth checking out, and they do continue to prove Bowie’s often underrated lyrical talents. Seriously, sometimes I think this album could hold up well if you just read the lyrics booklet, and the only other people who can do that are Bob Dylan and Jarvis Cocker. ‘All the Madmen’ carries things on in an equally progressive style with creepy vocals and a guitar opening full of anticipation. Its more stripped back arrangement means it acts as a counterpoint to the first song, but it also builds as it goes on, giving it status on its own. I’m a big fan of the spoken word section in the middle that comes out of nowhere, where the band forget to play for a bit, surprising the listener and making the song memorable and unique. It’s the Syd Barrett song that Barrett never wrote.
‘Black Country Rock’ is not one of my favourites; its blues-rock influence is a bit too overpowering for my tastes, and the hook I hear while I listen to it is lying about being a hook, because it isn’t any kind of memorable. The quietly intense ‘After All’ is more my kind of thing, setting Bowie’s whispered, world-weary vocals against the more innocent and choral sound in the background.
I’ll be dull and predictable again in saying that my least favourite track is ‘She Shook Me Cold’, because it just ad no structure… seriously, most jam sessions are better organised than this song, which is nowhere near album-worthy. It feels like it’s trying to be great art but coming off as a bit of a mess. ‘Saviour Machine’ is nothing particularly special either, and ‘Running Gun Blues’ is notable for being the heaviest song, a bit psychotic in places, interesting enough but more controversial than it is good.
 The title track is probably most famous for being covered by Nirvana in the early 90s, but I can think of much better versions. Namely, this one. More than anything else on the record, this is a pop song, and Ronson provides us with a wonderful guitar hook just to prove that point. Closer ‘The Supermen’ is probably the most obvious nod to Bowie’s sci-fi leanings, sounding alternately cold, futuristic and otherworldly, and it’s another bullseye in my book. Its fantastical qualities elevate an otherwise averagely good song to epic status. Another powerful vocal over the grandiose instrumentation bring the album to a crashing, explosive finish that’s well worth the disappointing moments.
So yeah. They say the only constant in life is change, and that’s definitely true of Bowie’s life. It doesn’t matter how much you like or dislike any one album of his, you always know that the next one’s going to be completely different.

Ouch, I haven’t reviewed anything ridiculously positive for quite a while. Tomorrow or Thursday I’ll give something a 7.

I also haven’t been particularly controversial about anything in a while… that’s coming. Oh, it’s coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment